Wednesday, April 13, 2011

There's a First Time for Everything

As promised, my spinning kit arrived today!!!!!  When I got home from work, it was sitting on the porch!  Yay!!!  So the kit came with my top whorl drop spindle, great instructions, and these two beautiful sets of roving!  Once again, the kit was from La Tea Da Designs on Etsy.  So if you are interested in learning how to spin, need roving or beautiful yarns, or anything, go check out her shop.  She's got a lot of other great items available too!  The service was great, and the shipping was unbelievably fast!

So, of course, I spun up the first (off white) set of roving tonight!  And it was awesome!!!  Here's a picture walk through of everything I did!
So, you spin the roving onto the spindle by twisting and dropping the spindle so it spins really fast, then you feed to roving in to make sure that the yarn winds evenly.  The above photo is in the middle of the process.
This photo is of the whole thing of roving spun onto the spindle.  Yay!  I did it!
Next you have to unwind it into a loop to wash it and eventually make it into a skein.  So, this is my makeshift method for unwinding things (as you've seen before if you read on a regular basis).
And then, after I washed it (soaked it really), I hung it up to dry, and I should be able to make it into a skein tomorrow!  It was awesome!  I'm so excited to try the purple!  (Did you notice that I saved the best color for last?!)

Among my other tasks tonight were making gooey butter cookies (my husband's favorite) and eating these delicious raspberries!  Is there anything better than this color?!  I think not.

Well, I would like to get a little weaving done tonight, so here's goodbye.

Random:  When I got the spindle out of it's packaging, Lo went nuts!  She just could not get enough of that thing!  I really think she would have licked it and sniffed all night long if I would have let her near it.  On the other hand, she didn't find the roving too interesting which surprised me since cats seem to like fuzzy things...

0 comments:

Post a Comment