Saturday, December 24, 2011

Delectable!


So, I'm going to attack my to do blogging list a little out of order!  I cannot resist posting the recipe for the most delicious apple scones ever!  Seriously, they are so good, I made them twice in a week!  Both times, I decided to make them for dessert one night, and then we had the leftovers for breakfast the next morning.  They're great for a treat or a meal!  Since it was just Thomas and me, I halved the recipe, and it was a perfect amount.  I hope you enjoy!  This picture is also from the website because we kept eating ours before I could remember to take a picture!  Yes, they're that good!
Apple Scones with Spiced Maple Butter

(The recipe is from Midwest Living, however, I made a few tweaks from the recipe you'll see on their site.)

Apple Scones

Yield: 15 scones  
Prep: 30 mins Bake: 15 mins to 17 mins at 375°F Cool: 5 mins

Ingredients

  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup finely chopped tart apple, such as Braeburn, Jonagold or Jonathan - I used Fuji, and they were delicious
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup whipping cream
  • 1 egg yolk, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon whipping cream
  • 16 - 18 thin slices of unpeeled apple
  • Coarse sugar or granulated sugar

Directions

1. Line an extra-large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, the 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, apple pie spice and salt. Cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the 1 cup finely chopped apple. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
2. In a small bowl, combine the 2 eggs and 3/4 cup whipping cream. Using a fork, stir egg mixture into flour mixture; stir until just moistened. (Stir as little as possible or the finished scones will become really crumbly.  They will still taste the same, but they're much harder to eat when they're falling apart.)  Dough will be thick. Using a 1/4-cup ice cream scoop or measuring cup, scoop dough into mounds and place on prepared baking sheet. Don't flatten.
3. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon whipping cream. Brush some of the mixture over the top of the dough mounds. Place an apple slice on top of each dough mound, pressing down until about 1-inch thick. Brush with remaining egg yolk/whipping cream mixture; sprinkle with additional sugar.  (I sprinkled them with a little cinnamon too because I'm obsessed with cinnamon!)
4. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 to 17 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheet on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove scones from baking sheet. Cool slightly. Serve warm with butter and honey. Makes 15 scones.

I hope you enjoy Christmas with your family!  I know I'm loving mine! 

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment