Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hello Blog!

Hello blog...  This is my first blog post on my first blog, so I'm pretty excited.  I guess, first of all, I will tell you (if anyone ever reads this) a little about myself.  I am 22 years old.  I'm a daughter, a sister, a wife, a Christian, a dreamer.  Things I love: summer and the beach (any everything that goes with it: the sunshine, the heat, the sand between my toes, the sound of waves crashing on the shore, seagulls crying, waking up in the morning with the sun shining in the window, afternoon rain showers, seafood, the immensity of the ocean, sunrises over the water, absolutely everything).  Reading (I have quite a few favorites, but my all-time, absolute, never-altering favorites are The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.  I love them so much that I read them twice a year every year; I just can't help it.  They're marvelous!).  Movies (I love almost everything I see but two of my absolute favorites are "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "Timeline").  My husband, Thomas, the love of my life.  My adorable kitten Lo (who will probably show up in pictures from time to time).  Ancient History (I just love it.  Mainly Greek, Roman, and Persian history).  Music (singing, listening, dancing, playing, just music in general).  And... the subject of this blog... weaving!

Learning how to weave has been a dream of mine ever since I read the book East by Edith Pattou when I was a little girl.  In the book, the main character, Rose, loves to weave, and Edith Pattou describes weaving and Rose's love of weaving so beautifully.  And ever since, I have wanted to learn how.  So, for a while I have been looking into buying a loom, but have you ever just looked on the internet to buy a loom?  O my goodness, I had no idea where to start (and the expensive price tags I saw did not offer any encouragement either).  But, I persisted and finally decided to start with a rigid heddle loom.  They are a basic type of loom which sites suggested would be good for a beginner (and they aren't insanely expensive).  Then, not being able to afford a loom on my own, I worked up the courage to ask for a loom for Christmas.  And on Christmas morning, I received the most wonderful gift from my in-laws and my husband... the loom I had asked for!!!!!  I was so happy I almost cried!  So, thanks to my amazing in-laws and my amazing husband, my weaving dreams are finally coming true!

So, what kind of loom do I have, do you ask?  I am now the proud owner of a 24" Ashford Rigid Heddle loom.  It is pictured here, with an in-progress project.  If you happen to be reading this and you are  interested in weaving or you are a weaver, my loom was purchased from Paradise Fibers (www.paradisefibers.net), and in my two months of weaving, I have found them to be very helpful and wonderful to work with.  So, you should check out their website if you are interested in weaving!



I guess I will end my first post here.  I would like a to make a public service announcement though, if anyone happens to read this blog, you are welcome to comment, ask questions, offer suggestions, etc.  But if your comment includes rude or inappropriate content or language, I will delete it.  I would greatly appreciate if you would be kind and courteous on my blog.  (This is all assuming that someone will eventually read this, which in any event is quite unlikely.) 

But anyway, I would like to end every post with a little something random. So...  What's big, red, and eats rocks? .......... a big red rockeater!  Hahahaha!

If you've read this, thank you so much for reading... I hope I didn't bore you too much!

0 comments:

Post a Comment